As employees within the City of Gonzales Police Department are governed by Louisiana Civil Service, anyone wishing to apply for a position must meet all civil service requirements and must submit an application and any required documentation directly to the Gonzales Police Department. Your application will be reviewed by the Gonzales Police Department for compliance with the minimum qualifications for the position.
City of Gonzales Police Department Officers are entrusted with the responsibility of keeping our citizens and businesses safe from crime and corruption. Therefore, a history of ethical and moral behavior is of the utmost importance. An applicant’s background will be looked at very closely. Applicants who have a history of unethical or immoral behavior will not be hired. Applicants will be subject to an intensive background evaluation, which will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- your past behavior and the choices you have made muse demonstrate positive traits that will support your candidacy for police officer and reflect favorably on your character
- you must have a history of lawful conduct
- you must possess high standards of honesty and integrity as demonstrated by your dealings with individuals and organizations. Falsifying, misrepresenting or omitting information on any document or during the selection process will be closely scrutinized
- you must respect the rights of all people and have an appreciation for the diversity that characterizes the City of Gonzales. A history of domestic violence, physical altercations or discourteous, abusive or violent treatment of others may indicate a lack of self-discipline, an unwillingness or inability to cooperate or a disregard for the rights of others
- your employment and military (if applicable) histories must demonstrate the motivation and success needed to succeed as a police officer
- your financial and driving records must demonstrate responsible decisions and appropriate behavior
Applicant Minimum Requirements:
- applicant must be a United States citizen
- applicant must be a high school graduate or have a GED at time of application submission
- applicant must be at least 21 years of age at time of application submission
- applicant must possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license and have been licensed to drive for a minimum of one year, with no loss of license within the past year and an acceptable driving record
- applicant must be eligible to vote within the state of Louisiana prior to employment
- veterans must provide proof of military service (DD-214). If currently in the military, the applicant must provide a letter from the military indicating ETS date
- applicant must be of a good moral character with no record of conviction by any local, state, federal or military court of a felony or Class A or Class B misdemeanor as defined by the Training and Standards Commission
- applicant must satisfactorily complete the steps listed above
Selection Process Minimum Requirements:
The application process from start to finish may take two to three months. Successful completion of this process does not guarantee employment. The City of Gonzales Police Department reserves the right to hire any candidate from the list depending on the department’s needs. The City of Gonzales Police Department is an equal opportunities employer.
The process begins when the applicant completes a civil service application (SF-10), along with a City of Gonzales Police Department waiver granting permission from the applicant to question family friends and former employers, and also giving access to any civil or criminal records to process the applicant. Upon successful completion of each step, candidates may be considered for various positions.
All applicants must:
- take and pass the Louisiana Civil Service examination with a minimum score set by the Louisiana Civil Service Department
- agree to all test scores being forwarded to the City of Gonzales Police Department
- agree to a background investigation
- meet all physical fitness requirements per Cooper Standards
- submit to an oral interview
- adhere to pre-employment selection board recommendations to the Chief of Police
- undergo a psychological examination
- undergo a medical examination
Lt. David Breaux, Hiring Board Administrator, can be reached for more information on the process by calling 225-647-9581. We also urge you to visit the Office of State Examiner at http://ose.louisiana.gov/ for the most up-to-date information and the answers to many questions regarding the selection and hiring process.
We will also post career opportunities on this page when they are available, as well as on the City of Gonzales website, www.gonzalesla.com.Download Information